Author Topic: Boarding school in Ridgewood  (Read 2659 times)

Offline cynthia

• View Profile
Boarding school in Ridgewood
« on: March 03, 2009, 02:11:59 PM »
Does anyone know of a boarding school that existed in Ridgewood, in the 1940s?  It was named "Fornachon Hall" and was run by a family or person whose surname was Carr.  Non-parochial, privately run in a large house.  Student body was about 30 children in grades K-4th.  Any further information would be appreciated.  cf
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:21:12 PM by cynthia »

Offline grace

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boarding school in Ridgewood
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:32:42 PM »
Re: Fonachon Hall. I attended this school from 1949 until 1959. It was run by Louise Fornachon Carrr and Benjamin Carr. She taught the upper grades--5th through 12th, although there were only a couple of high school students when I was there. It was primarily a day school rather than a boarding school in the 1950's. I remenber seeing pictures of large (20 or so) graduating Seniors taken around 1920 or earlier. The school was located at the intersection of Godwin Ave and Lincoln. I believe the grounds now hold Citizen's Park. The school closed the year after I left in 1960. The Carrs were in their 90's at that time, and, I assume, unable to cope. I have been trying to locate anyone who attended this school during my years, but have had no luck to date. Did you know anyone who attended? The school was definitely in the declinig years in the 1950's, however I received a great elem. education. It averaged 5 to 6 students per grade in the upper classes. I hope that this information helps. Feel free to contact me should you have any questions,

Grace

Offline Carl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boarding school in Ridgewood
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:38:45 PM »
We were classmates at Fornachon Hall.  Contact me if you like:  carl@aligra.com.