Author Topic: St Michael's -?- House, Englewood (Cliffs) PC  (Read 3391 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
St Michael's -?- House, Englewood (Cliffs) PC
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:41:39 AM »
I can't read everything the card says.

"St. Michael's (something) House and (something), Hudson Terrace, Englewood, New Jersey"

(What happened to "St. Michael's Villa"?)

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Eric

Re: St Michael's -?- House, Englewood (Cliffs) PC
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 07:29:59 AM »
I think the second "something" is "Novitiate".

Offline Steenrapie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »
St. Michael's Provincial House and Novitiate, Hudson Terrace, Englewood Cliffs. This is St. Michael's Villa, home to the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace, where we held our "Broken Arrows" Concert for the Hudson 400 last September. If I remember correctly, this building was built around 1939.

Mother Clare (Margaret Anna Cusack) and Mother Evangelista (Honoria Gaffney) arrived in New Jersey in November 1884, shortly after the founding of the Congregation in Nottingham, England. The original frame building, built by Mother Clare, still stands below the Villa, overlooking the George Washington Bridge. I think a postcard view of it was offered for sale in the last month or so. Part of the Order's ministry has been care of the sick and I believe they founded Holy Name Hospital in 1925.

Eric

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »
Especially given today’s date, here are some local notes, for whatever they’re worth:

The St. Joseph’s complex stands on the site of the Palisades Mountain House, a grand Victorian resort that burned – spectacularly – in the early morning hours of June 4, 1884 (here’s an article about the fire).

Thereafter, William O. Allison, the resort’s principal owner and, later, the first mayor of Englewood Cliffs (and a founding member of the Historical Society), built his estate on the grounds. On November 7, 1903 his manor house also burned to the ground. (Allison Park, just south of the Sisters, is named for him, and a couple of the estate’s stone outbuildings still stand, one in the park and another on the Sisters’ property.)

Among their activities, the Sisters operated an orphanage on the grounds, St. Joseph’s Home for Boys. On April Fool’s Day 1953 (you saw this one coming, didn’t you?) it burned; the orphanage was moved to Rockleigh.

I’ve read somewhere that the Novitiate building was constructed with fireproof materials…

Offline Steenrapie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:33:58 AM »
In another twist, William O. Allison left his estate when he died for a museum property for the Bergen County Historical Society, but much of it was taken by the Parkway and the rest mysteriously dwindled away.