TAVERN SIGN John A. Hopper’s Tavern at Hohokus.
Written and researched by Kevin Wright
On April 16, 1780, British, Hessian and Loyalist troops burned and destroyed “two dwelling houses, one store house and one grist mill,” belonging to Captain John Hopper of Hopperstown, who “lost all his private property contained in the buildings, consisting of household furniture, a large quantity of linen, and various other goods, and also the sum of $7,000 in money, not a dollar of which was saved.” He “escaped at the time with the loss of his hat.” His wife, Mary, attributed the loss of their property to the fact “mainly and altogether that the buildings destroyed were used and occupied by the American troops and arms, ammunition and provisions kept and stored in the buildings.”
After the Revolution, John Hopper built and operated an inn at Hopperstown (later renamed Hohokus) along the busy Ramapough road. This highway formed part of an important stage road leading from Manhattan via Hoboken and Hackensack to Albany; the section from New Prospect (Waldwick) to the New York line was incorporated into the Franklin Turnpike in 1806. Unfortunately, the old tavern-house stood at a sharp, descending turn in the Franklin Turnpike (near the present Post Office in Ho-Ho-Kus) known as “Dead Man’s Curve.” Early in this century, the road was straightened and Hopper's inn demolished; architectural remnants from the site were incorporated into the Ridgewood Women’s Club.
Size: 70"x 39".
Restored by the Junior League of Bergen County.
Copyright ©1996 by Bergen County Historical Society. All rights reserved.