Extracts from the Journal of Captain John André.

19th [September, 1778]

Gen. Grey came to N. York.


The Grenadiers, Light Infantry, 3rd & 4th Brigades crossed in Transports and flat Boats from Red Hook to Paulus Hook: The Guards and Volunteers of Ireland joined these Corps from York Island. The whole lay at Bergen that night except the 1st Lt. Infantry which was pushed on towards English Neighbourhood.


At 5 in the morning The Troops under Ld: Cornwallis consisting of the Lt. Infantry, Grenadiers, Volunteers of Ireland, 3rd & 4th Brigades and a detachment of Dragoons under Maj: Gwynn moved from Bergen to English Neighbourhood where they were encamped with their left to Newbridge. About 60 Militia who were posted at the Liberty Pole at the head of Engl. Neighb. Creek were Surprised by Capt: Needham of the Dragoons, a few were killed and 27 taken.


The position of the Grenadiers was changed.


A Redout was begun on the heights beyond Newbridge. One Battallion of the Guards was moved to the Wood between the North River & the Right of the Line.


At Night a Body of Rebels appeared on the heights beyond Hackensack, lighted Fires and seemed busied in throwing up Entrenchments (This was not the Case.) They retired next day.
At 10 the Same Evening (27th) In consequence of a preconcerted plan with Sir Henry Clinton, Detachments from Ld. Cornwallis’s Division of the Army marched in two Columns to endeavour to Surprize some Light Horse and Militia lying in or near Tapaan. At the same time some Troops were to cross from the other Side of the North River to land above them.
Gen: Grey marched at 10 with the 2nd Lt. Infantry, 2nd Grendrs, 33rd & 64th Regt. & 50 dragoons up the Road on the West Side of Hackensack River. Lord Cornwallis marched two hours after up the Closter Road with the 1st Grenadiers, the Guards and 42nd & 37th Regt. The Troops which crossed from Gen: Knyphausen’s Division were the [Queen’s] Rangers, Emericks Corps and 71st Regiments they landed at day break.
Gen: Grey on advancing received certain Intelligence of the Situation of the Dragoons a whole Regiment of which lay at old Tapaan 10 miles from Newbridge. He was successfull enough to come unperceived within a mile of the place so as to enable him to detach Six Companies of Lt. Infantry by 3 in the morning to spread round the Houses and barns where they lay whilst the Rest after a little Halt marched on upon the road to them. The whole Corps within 6 or 8 men were killed or taken prisoners. The Horses, Saddles, Accoutrements &c fell into our hands.
Amongst the prisoners were the Coll, Major, a Capt: and three or four Subalterns: the rest were killed.
From hence the Column proceeded to the Cackiat Road where it turned to the Right and crossing the Hackensack at Perrys Mills came to Tapaan. The light Infantry on approaching the Village had been detached to the left in Order to surround any body of the Enemy which might be there. They had however to the number of 200 Escaped an hour or two before and the troops cou’d only kill or Secure a few fugitives of a Rear Guard.
There were taken (Militia included) 13 Officers and 47 Privates. We imagined about 100 were killed.


After sending out parties to collect Cattle. The detachment returned to Camp in two Columns by the Kloster and Schralenberg Road; the 71st, Rangers & Emericks recrossed the North River at Dobbs’s Ferry.


A Foraging Party in front.

2nd Oct[ober]

A Foraging Party in Front.


Foraging in front.


Foraging. The Hay Collected during our Stay in Jersey was put on board Sloops and conveyed from the Forks of Hackensack and Overpack to New York.


The Forraging having been completed, and Cattle collected The Troops Quitted their Position between Hudson’s & Hackensack Rivers and Marched on the 14th to Bergen And on the 15th crossed from Paulus Hook, to their former Positions on York Island, Long Island, and Staten Island.

The Huntington Library, John André Journal, HM 626.