DIRECTIONS to HNBL
Historic New Bridge Landing is located on the west bank of the Hackensack River at the dead-end (east) of Main Street, River Edge, NJ. Nearby streets are marked with brown Historic New Bridge Landing signs.
From Exit 161 on the Garden State Parkway North or Rt. 17, travel about 2 miles on Route 4 East, taking the exit for Hackensack Avenue North. Proceed through 2 traffic lights, then take the exit for Main Street, River Edge. Turn right onto Main Street. New Bridge Landing is located on the left side of street.
From Route 4 West, take the exit for River Edge and proceed north on Hackensack Ave through 2 traffic lights and turn right onto Main St, River Edge. New Bridge Landing is located on the left side of street.
From S. Washington Ave / Teaneck Rd, take New Bridge Road West. After crossing the Hackensack River, make a left onto Main Street. New Bridge Landing is located on the left side of street.
Close-up view below (Drawing by Claire Tholl).
| || |
| || |
1. Steuben House
2. New Bridge (1888-89)
3. New Bridge Landing
4. Site of Zabriskie Tidemill
5. Demarest House Museum
6. Campbell-Christie House
7. Westervelt-Thomas Barn
The Steuben House is now open. The hours are Wednesday thru Saturday, 10 am to 12 noon and 1 pm to 5 pm and Sunday 2 pm to 5 pm. It is advisable to call ahead to confirm open. 201.487.1739. School groups should make appointments in advance. The Campbell-Christie and Demarest Houses are open for special events. The Campbell-Christie House is open the 2nd Sunday of the month.
Return to Main Page or scroll down to see more information on the above map.
1. Steuben House. Built 1752. Described in 1784 as a "Large Mansion House containing twelve rooms built with stone, with Outhouses consisting of a Bake House, Smoke House, Coach House, and two large Barns, and a Garden, Forty Acres of Land consisting of Meadow Land and two Orchards."
2. New Bridge. A "New Bridge" with sliding draw was built here in 1744. The present Pratt-type Low Truss Swing Bridge, installed by the King Iron Bridge Co. of Cleveland using channel iron made by the Phoenix Iron Co. of Philadelphia, opened February 2, 1889. Joseph W. Stagg built the sandstone abutments. Closed to automobile traffic in 1956. Listed on NJ and National Registers as the oldest highway swing-bridge in State.
3. New Bridge Landing. A narrow mill landing, built of log cribbing in 1744, could accommodate 50-ton sloops. Iron was brought here from Ringwood and Long Pond for transshipment. Present bulkhead built shortly after completion of present bridge in 1889.
4. Zabriskie's Mills. A gristmill, 40 ft by 20 ft, containing two pairs of grinding stones was constructed in 1744. High tide was trapped in Cole's Brook behind a dam, creating an artificial pond to run the waterwheel during ebb tide. The mill burned down in 1852.
5. Demarest House Museum. 18th-century two-room sandstone dwelling with double front doors and distinctive spring-eave on front. Removed from original site beside French Burial Ground in New Milford in 1955-56. Displays collection of Demarest family and Bergen Dutch artifacts. Open for special events and by appointment. Owned by Blauvelt-Demarest Foundation.
6. Campbell-Christie House. Gambrel, center-hall sandstone dwelling erected on River Road and Henley Avenue, New Milford, by Jacob Campbell, a mason, in 1774. Note paneled reveals and Dutch stoop at front entrance. John Christie, blacksmith, purchased this house in 1795 and continued its operation as a tavern. Moved to River Edge in 1977 by County Freeholders, it is owned by the County of Bergen and operated by the Bergen County Historical Society. Open for special events. Gift shop and rest room.
7. Westervelt-Thomas Barn. Built 1889 by Peter J. Westervelt on his farm on Ridgewood Road, Washington Township. Henry Thomas purchased farm in 1906. Donated to BCHS and relocated in 1958.
8. Out-Kitchen. Authentic out-kitchen built by BCHS in 1990, using antique materials, replicating John R. Demarest Out-Kitchen in Demarest. Includes beehive oven and smoke room.